Vegan Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joe mixture:
- 2 tablespoons preferred Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound tempeh, roughly crumbled
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup beer, vegetable broth, or water
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until softened, 6-8 minutes. Add tempeh and garlic and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in ketchup, beer, broth, or water, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender combine avocado, lime juice, salt, garlic, and ¼ cup water. Process or blend until completely smooth. If needed, add more water to reach a smooth consistency. In a large bowl combine cabbage, cilantro, and avocado dressing.
- To serve, divide tempeh mixture between buns and top with slaw.