BBQ Pulled Mushroom Sandwiches with Spicy Kale Slaw
- 4 Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Burger Buns
- 3 cups of oyster mushrooms, shredded (can also use large portabellas in a pinch. We don't recommend using white button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms.)
- ½ cup vegan BBQ sauce of choice
- 2 cups chopped kale
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp smoked paprika
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups chopped kale, ½ cup shredded carrots, ½ cup chopped green onions, 1 sliced jalapeno, ½ cup vegan mayo, 2 tsp lime juice. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate until time to assemble.
- Clean your mushrooms and shred 3 cups of oyster mushrooms using two forks or your hands in long strands similar to pulled pork.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbs olive oil and the pulled mushrooms. Season with ½ tsp sea salt, ¼ tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1/3 tsp smoked paprika. Cook, stirring consistently until mushrooms are softened and browned and the liquid is evaporated.
- Add 1/2 cup BBQ sauce to the pan and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until the mixture is thick and the sauce has lightly caramelized the mushrooms.
- Toast the burger buns. Top with the BBQ pulled mushroom mixture and a scoop of spicy kale slaw. Add the top bun and enjoy!
This recipe makes 4 sandwiches.