Winter Squash Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk (almond milk can be substituted)
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 small leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 box (16 ounces) Original Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Penne Pasta
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated white cheddar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup coarse crumbs from Original Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly oil a 9" baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, bring stock, milk, squash, leek, and bay leaf to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, covered, until squash is completely tender, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- While squash cooks, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook 4-5 minutes. Drain well.
- Using a hand blender or upright blender, puree squash mixture. Add cheddar, smoked paprika, and salt and blend until completely smooth. In a large bowl, toss cooked pasta with sauce and transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted. Top pasta with crumbs and bake until browned on top, 15-20 minutes.