Raisin Crisps with Mascarpone and Candied Beets
- 5 slices Original Ezekiel 4:9 Cinnamon Raisin Sprouted Whole Grain Bread
- 3 small beets
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Flaky sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove crusts from bread and cut each slice into 4 squares. Place bread on a baking sheet and bake 5-8 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
- Very thinly slice beets on a mandoline or with a sharp knife. Place in a saucepan and add honey and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve honey. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook beets until translucent, about 30 minutes. Strain, reserving beet liquid, and lay beets out in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cool completely.
- Return liquid back to the pan and reduce by 2/3. Stir in lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Spoon a dollop of mascarpone onto each toast, and top with a beet slice and walnuts. Drizzle with reserved beet cooking liquid. If desired, sprinkle flaky sea salt on top.