Potato and Leek Soup with Herbed Croutons
- 5 slices Ezekiel 4:9 Sesame Whole Grain Bread
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes cubed
- 3 cups chopped leeks
- 1 cup celery sliced
- ½ cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 7 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
- 5 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- chives (optional, for serving)
For the Potato and Leek Soup:
- Clean and chop the leeks, garlic, onion, celery, and potatoes.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large stockpot and add the leeks, onion, 1 clove of chopped garlic, and celery until softened.
- Add the potatoes, vegetable broth, sprig of thyme (reserving 2 tbs of thyme for croutons), and salt and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Tear 2 slices of Ezekiel 4:9 Sesame Whole Grain Bread into medium-sized pieces and add to soup to thicken.
- Once the bread is fully softened, remove the fresh thyme and puree the soup either with a hand-held immersion blender or in a high-speed blender.
- Return soup to pot and stir in the almond milk. Simmer for a few additional minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
For the Herbed Garlic Croutons:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut 3 slices of Ezekiel 4:9 Sesame Whole Grain Bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Spread out on the baking sheet and sprinkle with reserved chopped thyme, garlic, and rosemary and drizzle over 2 tbs olive oil.
- Toss bread cubes in the herb, garlic, and olive oil mixture. Season with salt.
- Bake until golden brown and toasted, about 15 minutes. When done baking, toss with 2 tbs fresh parsley.
Spoon soup into a bowl. Top with chives and herbed garlic croutons. Enjoy!
This recipe serves 4-6.