French Toast Casserole
- Oil for greasing pan
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 slices Ezekiel bread (original or low sodium, thawed if frozen)
- Optional: 4-5 T. fresh or frozen berries or diced fruit
- Optional: butter for serving
You may want to use Cinnamon Raisin bread for this, but I personally make it without fruit. I recommend salting at the table because most varieties of Ezekiel bread already contain some salt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease a round 8" baking pan, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, almond milk and cinnamon.
- Tear bread into small pieces, throwing them right into the egg mixture; stir to blend well.
- Add fruit, if using, stir in.
- Spoon into prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake, uncovered, until all liquid has been absorbed. (Baking time depends on the size of your dish and volume of ingredients. As an example, I make this recipe as written, without optional add-ins, in an 8" ovenproof skillet, and the baking time ranges from 13-15 minutes.)
- Let it rest in the pan a few minutes, then use a spatula to remove the casserole and plate it. Top with slivers of butter if desired while letting it cool.
- Serve with accompaniments of your choice.