Elk Skirt Steak Tacos with Tomatillo Avocado Sauce
By BBQ Outlets
- 4 tomatillos, shucked stemmed and quartered
- 1 avocado, skinned, pitted and quartered
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 or 2 (depending on desired heat) Serrano chiles, stemmed (you can seed them as well if you wish to further reduce the heat)
- Freshly-squeezed juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the tacos:
- 4 red onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 6 elk skirt steaks (or beef skirt steak, but cook it to medium rather than medium-well)
- 3 fresh limes
- 18 Sprouted Corn tortillas
- About 4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- Fresh cilantro
- To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. The sauce can be made a day ahead and kept refrigerated in an air-tight container until serving time. The avocado in the sauce will not turn brown because of the acidity of the tomatillos and lime.
- Prepare the grill for direct grilling with two temperature zones: one hot and one blazingly hot. A charcoal fire is preferred.
- Brush the onion slices with olive oil and season with salt.
- Squeeze the limes over the skirt steaks. Brush with olive oil and season with salt.
- Grill the onion slices in the cooler part of the grill for a few minutes until they are nicely marked by the fire and softened.
- Grill the elk skirt steaks over the hottest part of the fire. You may wish to grill them 2 or 3 at a time so that you can keep up. Grill the meat to medium-well, about 1 minute per side.
- Remove the elk and onions from the grill. While the meat rests, coarsely chop the onions. After the meat has rested for a couple of minutes, cut each skirt into sections about 3 inches long, then very thinly slice the meat across the grain.
- To assemble each taco, lay a little sauce into the tortilla. Add the elk meat and some grilled red onion. Top with queso fresco and fresh cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
Note: you can skewer a few tacos together to keep them from opening up or falling apart"