Curried Tempeh Tacos
By Carrie Forrest
- 1 medium onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 4 celery stalks
- 1/2 pound mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 ripe avocado, optional
- Food For Life® Sprouted Corn tortillas
- Chop onion, peppers, celery, and mushrooms. Mince garlic.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add onions and cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Add peppers and celery, and cook a few more minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, curry powder, cumin, chili powder, garam masala, oregano, and paprika. Cook until softened.
- Add garlic and cook, covered, for a few minutes.
- Crumble tempeh and add to vegetables. Cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Halve, seed, peel, and slice avocado, if using.
- Warm tortillas for 15 seconds in the microwave. Serve tempeh mixture over tortillas with avocado slices, if desired.
Notes: This recipe is easy to pull together on a weeknight, but delicious enough to serve at a casual dinner party. Tempeh is a fermented soy product that is health-promoting and chock full of healthy protein. The mild curry flavor paired with the vegetables, avocado and corn tortillas is a fun twist on a traditional soft taco.